Are you ready to follow in the footsteps of a climate champion, by learning how you can strengthen the solutions story on climate change in Australia?
The Adam Majcher Legacy Program is an annual opportunity offered to an outstanding university student or recent graduate who demonstrates potential to build collective impact and to strengthen the solutions story on climate change in Australia. We award one paid placement per year to a student in the early stages of their career in making an impact on climate change.
It was immensely valuable to connect with a variety of people throughout the industry. I learned a great deal through these conversations. It was really helpful to have the space, not only to ask career advice questions, but also to explore my curiosity with a range of topics such as how to communicate well, how to collaborate with others, how businesses operate and what other stakeholders are working on climate change in different waysMelissa Yoon, Adam Majcher legacy program 2019
The successful applicant will be:
- A current student or within six months of completing their studies
- Eligible to work in Australia
- Available to complete virtual Climate Reality Training in October 2021, and virtual Common Cause training in November 2021
- Able to be in Melbourne – Covid-19 restrictions permitting – from Monday 1 November to Friday 17 December 2021 to complete Climateworks training (equivalent to 5 weeks full-time at 35 hours per week)
- Available to present findings and reflections from the Fellowship in February 2022 (preferably in person but option to present online)
- Demonstrably committed to climate action through volunteering or other similar activities
Applications are now closed
Who are we looking for?
Are you passionate about making a difference in the world and contributing to climate solutions for Australia and our region – and a current student in a related field?
We are looking for someone with all of the passion, and experience in community organising or volunteer roles, but in need of context and contacts to further your career. If you are self-driven and can find a way to contribute learnings from this experience towards making an impact in your community and beyond, please apply!
What does the program include?
The program participant will further their skills and capacity in their sphere of influence on climate change by undertaking residencies at Climateworks Centre, Common Cause and Climate Reality, three peak climate organisations with different approaches towards making change. The program is a paid position at $46.23 per hour inclusive of benefits.
Throughout the residencies, the participant will have the opportunity to:
- Understand and experience a diversity of approaches and skills needed in the climate sector: from community to corporate engagement and communications, and strategy to data analysis.
- Take part in our organisations’ professional development and knowledge sharing
- Structure your time to learn from the people that resonate most with your work
- Work directly on projects that align with your skill set and interest
- Benefit from mentorship and practical career guidance from experienced and highly regarded professionals
- Develop your public speaking and presentation skills
- Share your perspective and expertise on the challenges we face
Who was Adam Majcher?
Adam Majcher committed his life to making the world a fairer place. A people person to the core, he was renowned for bringing people together to tackle and solve the climate challenge. Adam had an enormous and positive impact on an incredible network of friends, professional associates, connections, communities and of course, his deeply loved family. Through his academic background as a marine scientist, to his tireless work with organisations including The Climate Reality Project, Common Cause and Generation Yes within Climateworks Centre, Adam never lost sight of the fact that the solutions to our climate crisis will ultimately be driven by human beings. And he championed the right of all people – regardless of education, social status or any other barrier – to be part of the solution, building a cohort of diverse leaders across Australia, working towards safe climate for all. Adam passed away suddenly in 2017, leaving the impacts of his amazing work and broad community to carry his legacy forward.
We lost Adam way too soon. The Adam Majcher Legacy Program is an opportunity to learn from his legacy, to build on foundations that Adam created, while developing the recipients’ own unique pathway towards creating change.
This Program is dedicated to Adam’s partner and daughter, as well as his broader family, his incredible network of friends, his professional partners and connections, admirers and communities, all of whom continue to feel his loss deeply. It is hoped that, in some small way, it pays tribute to Adam’s enormous generosity of spirit and deep belief that people together are capable of achieving truly wonderful things.